Sunday, April 15, 2007

Our toast at Lalo's: "To buds"

Kelly came on Friday evening and I picked her up from the L stop in Evanston. We went to the Jewel, bought ingredients for dinner and a bottle of wine. I made Robert's house-famous stir fry and we listened to our favorite Oscar-winning song (true story), "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp." The stir fry turned out very well. I was quite pleased with myself. Then we were both exhausted and fell into bed and talked across the apartment before lights out.

Saturday we took the L downtown and had lunch at the first place we saw—the Rock Bottom Brewery for reubens. After, we walked to the river and then in the wrong direction to Navy Pier, but found a Mexican restaurant for dinner later. We walked a LOT—to and around Navy Pier, up Michigan Avenue, to Border's where Kelly looked for poetry while I read about how to use my eyes to make someone fall in love with me. It was cold and windy, of course, and gray. But it's always exciting to be in the city. Later we had giant burritos at Lalo's and listened to the mariachi band play "Happy Birthday" to every person in the restaurant. Then it was a short walk to the Redhead Piano Bar where we got a good spot by the piano and windows, next to Kenny the co-owner—an old man with giant glasses and teeth—and a nice couple who spilled beer on Kelly. The piano player wasn't our favorite because he had an annoying voice and played too many slow songs. But I like the Redhead for the people-watching, and here's why: this really creepy-looking man who I'm sure was high on something, with black hair and a black suit and a scary/fascinating face, stood near us for a while, leaning over and talking to a woman the whole time. We figured he must be a vampire. I couldn't stop looking at him even though his pale face scared the very life out of me. We overheard Kenny the Co-owner telling the nice couple that he'd been kicked out before for getting very drunk and touching women's hair. So of course I had to get a picture of him. THEN I saw a couple I'd seen there before—when it was the husband Kevin's 50th birthday and His Wife was loaded and invited me and Colleen to their hotel room. So of course I had to get a picture of them.

This morning we went for a walk to a cute corner bakery and ate our pastries right outside on a bench. I had a pain au chocolat and blueberry muffin and ate them at the same time with one in each hand. We walked to the lake, then rushed to the L so Kelly could get to Union Station. I was sad to see her off, but she's planning to come back for a week (and kept saying, "When I come for a week...") so she can make taco dip and we can go to the theatre. I wish we'd had more time this weekend.



On the L.


While I was looking at the map, a woman came up and asked, "Do you need help finding something?" (because people in Chicago are nice), and I said, "No, I just found it, but thank you." Then we realized I should have said, "You can help me find some friends." Or, even better: "I was looking for a friend, but I think I just found one. (You.)"
















The creepy guy is at the bottom right.


Kevin and His Wife