I flew out the Tuesday before Christmas—the day that, if you'll recall, hundreds of flights were cancelled at O'Hare due to the holy effing snow. I was supposed to fly to Detroit and then to Asheville, my usual flight plan that always makes me nervous. But my flight to Detroit was delayed three hours, which was actually a miracle because most of the flights at the gates around me were cancelled. So of course I missed my connecting flight, and had to spend a night in (my hometown) Royal Oak with my uncle Dan and aunt Susan. I ended up flying into Greenville/Spartanburg the next day.
It was weird to be back in Royal Oak—I hadn't been back since June of 2007. The weather in Detroit was awful too, so my uncle sent a metro car to pick me up, and this guy was driving on the snowy roads like a crazy person, so I thought I would die. He drove up Woodward, right past Hendrie, my old street. It was strange to be so close to our old house and not see it. Then Driver took a roundabout way to get to my uncle's house, and we ended up going by my friend Erin's house. She lives in New York now, but was home at the time for Christmas. It was really late, so I didn't call her. But how weird is it that we never see each other and our paths cross where we don't live anymore.
When Driver pulled up in the driveway I was all, "My rich uncle will take care of it."
Actually, it was a Christmas miracle that I was detoured to Dan and Susan's, because I got to see them open their finely-crafted homemade gifts from me. I made my uncle a T-shirt with the nickname I gave him as a kid: Unx. And I made some note cards and envelopes out of a calendar of old-timey Paris posters and drawing paper, respectively.

Oh this is definitely something he will wear.

Tommy models the note cards I made while Jimmy looks on, fascinated.

Photo by Tommy
No comments:
Post a Comment