Saturday we took the el downtown to go to the art institute, but first I wanted to see the green river, because I missed it last year. Turns out I thought the normal river color was the green dye, so I probably wasn't missing much. Then we walked to Millennium Park and ate hot dogs at the skating rink. Can I just tell you how relieved I am when people tell me they could go for a hot dog? I’m like, "Oh thank god, me too!" After lunch we walked to the art institute to see the Edward Hopper exhibit, which actually didn't bore me to tears like most trips to the museum. Hopper is more relatable to me. Usually I just stare at a painting and think, "I don’t get it." Like, so what? It’s a child in white. Big deal.
As we were walking up Michigan Avenue I saw a woman dressed in full traditional Irish costume and carrying a bagpipe get off a bus, walk across the sidewalk, and puke on the grass. It. was. awesome. That's what St. Patrick's Day should be about. Grown men and women puking in the streets, not drunk under-aged college kids using their outside voices on the el.
For dinner we met Russelle in Andersonville and went to a Mediterranean restaurant that I thought was Swedish. They have glogg, which is Swedish, right? Well it certainly rhymes with clog. Then I took Kate to the wine bar, but the crowd was a little boring. No one was dancing.
Yesterday we had brunch with Russelle and her roommate Rosemary, then went to a used book store in Wicker Park that Kate had heard about. Sometimes in stuffy book stores I get so overwhelmed that I don’t know what to look at, so I just pretend to look. I bought two books that I'll probably never read.


2 comments:
She does dishes? Tell her that if she ever needs a place out in the burbs she can stay here....
ERIN! I love the puking Irish woman story. I can't believe you got to witness that. I really need to move to a bigger city...
Post a Comment