Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dear Karen Savelly

The radio helps. I’m sitting in my cubicle, doing the same copy-and-paste “project” I’ve been doing for the past three hours and will be doing for the rest of the day. My eyes are fried. A few minutes ago I calculated my percent unhappiness. Over all, for seven days, I’m 36% unhappy. I’m 50% unhappy Monday through Friday. But I’m also listening to my favorite radio station that, in addition to the emails from Amy, saves me during the day. Good old Karen Savelly. She just took a request from a man who cleans apartments. He wanted to hear Bob Seger’s “Tryin' to Live My Life Without You,” which, as Bob says in the beginning, is an old Memphis song, old Memphis song. Karen said, “I bet that’s a good one to clean to.” And the guy was happy and he said, “Thanks, hon.” I don’t know that I’d rather be cleaning apartments all day, but if he can find joy in his day, then so can I.

No comments: