Saturday I saw Melissa Ferrick again with Andrea at a place called Schubas in the city. On the way we had to stop by her friend's surprise 30th birthday party. And by that I mean drive in the complete opposite direction to the south suburbs/country and get lost in the dark for half an hour. Most of her friends at the party were financial advisors, so I thought I should come up with an equally impressive career for myself. I said, "I think I'll be a plastic surgeon." Andrea said, "You can't, you're too young." I was like, "I'm a plastic surgeon! I could be forty." Her friend is Mexican (like actually Mexican, not like I'm Mexican), and the mom had made a wonderful spread of Mexican food, including tamales, which are my favorite, until I see pinto beans, then those are my favorite, until I see tamales again. It's exhausting.
The show was fun. I'm not really into her music, but I think she's interesting to watch because she's a great guitar player and also sort of crazy. At one point she said suddenly, "Oh yeah, I forgot this place has a ghost. I just felt him go behind me. If he has to run across the stage, I wish he'd go in front of me."
Friday I went to Kate's to watch The Office and was going to carve my pumpkin, but it seemed like too much work at the time. I realize it's past Halloween, but I didn't have a carving knife and couldn't find one anywhere...at Jewel the two times I looked. Then Kate found a carving kit in the street after she drove over it. It was a sign.