Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

A few weeks ago we got an email at work about the annual costume contest. I thought, well, I haven't embarrassed myself enough at this company, so I emailed Brendan, who sits right next to me, and told him we should go as each other. He agreed right away, which is funny because today he keeps saying, "How did I let you talk me into this?" I knew it would either be a really good idea and people would get it, or it would be a really bad idea and people would think we're weird. In the end, it's funny to us, and that's all that matters. We get to do impressions of each other and say things like "You've never looked better" and "I find myself strangely attracted to you now."

Yesterday we brought clothes for each other to wear. I tried to find the most feminine shirt in my closet, but it turns out I sort of dress like an old man, so I just gave him something tight. I'm wearing his shirt, corduroy jacket, and DePaul hat. We're both wearing each other's shoes. I don't know if that's more embarrassing for him or me. And we're both wearing each other's photo badges. Brendan's wearing a pair of cheap black-framed glasses I found at CVS. I almost drew on facial hair but figured that was a little too committed, especially since NO ONE ELSE in our department is wearing a costume.

This has turned out to be the best idea I've ever had. People LOVE US today. Tomorrow we'll go back to being those losers who sort of already dress alike, but today, TODAY we are popular. For the costume contest, we had to get our picture taken and then they posted all the pictures on a board in the cafeteria during lunch. We sat right by the board so people would maybe feel guilted into voting for us. But we didn't win. We didn't even place. Because no one outside of our department gets it. Which is why it's uncomfortable to walk around alone. Without the other one, people just think we're just strangely dressed. I've gotten some looks in the restroom. But the best part, the BEST part, is when our co-worker Greg asked Brendan, "Are those her jeans?" No, no they are not.