Yesterday I went to a block party/music fest hosted by a small bar called the Hideout tucked away in an industrial area of the city. I went with Brendan and his brother Marty, who I kept accidentally calling Morty. And then trying not to laugh. Of course I'd never heard of any of the bands, but Brendan said they were great. I ended up really liking a band from Ireland called The Frames. The lead singer is in the movie Once, which I haven't seen but all I heard yesterday was how good it is. Oh, I saw my 7th grade boyfriend, Joe, in the beer line. WE-IRD.
I also made a new friend—a new doctor friend, Kate, who is also new to the city. One of her friends owns a warehouse there, right across from where the stages were set up, so we watched the last performer from the rooftop with a bunch of other people. The view of the city was amazing—with everything lit up, plus the weekly fireworks at Navy Pier—and I felt smart when Kate asked me which is the Sears and which is the Hancock. The warehouse was very cool inside. They've converted it into a living and office space. The rooftop was done by a landscape designer. I asked Kate what her friend (who's actually in Bhutan right now) does for a living, and she said, "He's independently wealthy." I don't know what that means. Later it got chilly on the roof, so a few of us went through a pile of this guy's clothes for warmer shirts. With the roof, the music, the view, the interesting people, I felt like I was in a movie.
I wonder how long into our friendship I should wait before asking her for free medical advice about my constant gas.