Sunday, July 1, 2007

Visitors

The uncles Bill and Kent came this weekend from Kentucky. We ate, we drank, we drank even more. They were my first real guests (meaning I feared a secret white-glove dust test). Despite that I refuse to cook and don't really know how to make plans, I think I'm a wonderful host.

On Saturday we went for a long walk in downtown Evanston, around the Northwestern campus, and along the lake. The weather was perfect. And we had a great lunch at a Spanish tapas restaurant. You know what? I really love eating. For dinner we went to my new favorite wine bar/bistro and each had our own wine sampler. You know what? I really love wine.

We enjoyed reading passages from Amy Sedaris's book on entertaining—my coffee table book—and I got some ideas for cooking for one: bananas dipped in Jell-o powder and uncooked hot dogs dipped in Swiss Miss. See, it's not so hard being alone.

They left this morning to their friends' in the city and also left a fridge full of wine. It's always great to have visitors and sad to see them leave.






3 comments:

Amy said...

Are you ever going to come back to Asheville? I know you were just here, but... we miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wanted to let you know of my new blog...
onlyflashes.blogspot.com
Please control your excitment.

Erin said...

Amy: I think about Asheville and you two yahoos every day. I wish I could have more days like the one at Whitewater. SOME DAY.

Cheri: Like hot flashes? OH, I'm kidding. You know I love it. You know this is the most exciting day of my week.