Sunday, July 8, 2007

New Bike

Weeell, I bought a new bike yesterday. It's a nice road bike, unlike my other one that I named Blue Piece (of shit) because it weighs a ton, the gears don't work, and it gets flats literally just sitting in the room. The rims are patched inside with Band-Aids. But I love New Bike. It'll force me to get out and ride. Only not now because it's too hot.

I drove my car to the bike store, then rode the bike home and was going to walk back to get my car. But when I pulled up on the bike, my scientist neighbor Beth was on her way out and offered me a ride. I said, "This is too convenient!" She said, "Something inconvenient will happen later to even things out." I was like, "Okay, Miss Cleo." BUT THEN, I drove to Colleen's apartment so we could go to the beach in her neighborhood, and after walking forever in the hot sun and talking about how much we couldn't wait to go swimming, we got to the beach and the water was closed due to high levels of E. coli. Hmm. So we drove a little farther north to Rogers Park and the water was open. We probably swam in E. coli anyway. Afterwards we went to a cute hippie cafe called the Heartland Cafe. It reminded me of something down south—very relaxed with a screened porch and swinging screen doors, and in a residential neighborhood where you wouldn't expect to find it. They had a photo booth, so of course we had our pictures taken.

Last night my coworker Brendan and I went to a blues bar here in Evanston. It was fun, mostly because I couldn't understand a word the lead singer was saying and Brendan told me it's because I'm a racist. I laughed and I laughed. I also laughed at the older couple sitting next to us who asked each other at the beginning of every song, "Do you want to dance to this one?" They were the only ones dancing, and badly, but it looked fun.

Today Beth came over to meet Peewee. She LOVED Peewee. Then she kept telling me about people that I think live in the building, but I have no idea who they are. She was like, "Jose had cupboards like yours," "Virginia's cat-sitting for a 13 year-old male," "You should see Emma's cat." I just nodded.