Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Life As a Beach Bum

Yesterday I went to the beach for a few hours and sat near the professional sand sculptor who seems to always be there. I brought a sandwich and actually read a book. Not a whole book—maybe four pages. I was distracted by the wiffle ball game going on behind me. I think the sand sculptor and I were the only two who were there alone. I checked.

Today I...went to the beach again. Hey, if I have to pay for a beach pass, I might as well use the thing. This time I went swimming. The sand sculptor showed up late to build something small. I heard him tell a group of kids that he had a monastary in mind. Living here feels better on days like this.

I love the walk to the beach, especially now in the summer, and especially at night. But it's weird to be a girl with tight purse strings living amongst huge homes. I walked to the beach on Friday night and people were out having parties on their terraces, and as I walked by I felt like I should be offering to freshen their drinks or vacuum their libraries. Like I was overcome with the sudden urge to enter their backyards, sort of confused but unable to stop myself, and say, "I'm sorry, I seem to have left my apron at home for some reason..."

Peewee is doing just fine. I'm so glad she's here. She's been nothing but sweet and good—no incidents outside the litter box. Plus it's nice to have a buddy to watch TV shows on my computer with, and, really, isn't that what we all want?