Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Goodbyes

As I sit here in shorts with the tiny fan blowing at my back, drinking my nightly beer and watching the basketball game and yelling at no one and everyone, exchanging text messages with Erin (not me) in New York about how much we love each other, especially after she's had a few, I realize that maybe I should eat dinner before Nightly Beer.

Memorial weekend was a range. On Saturday my mom and I had a tour of our old house on Lawson where we lived from 1985 to 1995. The new guy couldn't have been nicer if he had given us hugs when we left, especially because he gave us hugs when we left. It was strange to be there again, but the house looks nice and I'm glad. My old room felt small. Then we had lunch in town at Lily's and went to our favorite shops for one more time.

On Sunday I had lunch and coffee with my friend Kelly, in the rain. Then we had a barbeque at our house with old friends and good wine and lots of laughs.

Yesterday I said goodbye to my house and to Peewee. I took pictures of her all weekend. She was annoyed that I kept touching her and looking at her. I still can't believe it, or bear it. It helps to have a trip to Asheville to look forward to—I've booked a flight for the weekend of the 22nd. I already can't wait to see the rental house (and hopefully meet the woman who's living downstairs), see Miss Bobbie, and go hiking with my friend Amy.



She's been a good sport to put up with me all these years.