Uncle John flew in yesterday morning at seven to get the Capri. I picked him up from the airport and soon after we drove away I said, "Are you really my Uncle John?" It's a classic. I asked him that when he picked me up from the Y one day and I didn't recognize him but got in his car anyway. Then we went to breakfast where I told him all the secrets of the Capri, like how the air conditioning slows down the car and how the left vent only blows cold air, so I flip it toward the window in the winter, and how the last time I went through a car wash, soap came through at my feet and through the vents. It's so fun! I got teary eyed when he pulled away in the old girl. It's the end of an era. But if he fixes the soft top, I'm going to want it back.
Will he fit? Stay tuned.
Then I wanted to get away from the city, so I took my new car on a day trip to Starved Rock State Park, about two hours southwest of here. It's along the Illinois River near Utica, a cute one-horse town with, like, a bait shop and thirteen pubs. The park has miles of hiking trails to explore—in and above beautiful canyons and rock formations, through woods, along the river. There were a lot of stairs. I packed a great lunch in my Quill lunch bag and ate on a bench in the middle of a trail. As I was enjoying my strawberries and jalapeƱo havarti in peace, three little boys came up and sat down next to me. I said hello because I'm nice to kids, and one boy whispered to the others, "Don't talk to strangers."
.
.
.