The Yaris is very basic and, unlike the Luxury '91 Capri, doesn't have power windows, locks, or mirrors. But it does have a plug for my iPod and a rear window wiper. It's a two-door manual like the Capri, but is a lot bigger inside, and sits a lot higher. And it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart after every bump and leave me with only a seat and a steering wheel like in a cartoon. I'm not in love with the red, but it's what they had in my strict price range.
The day started off horribly at the pre-owned VW lot in Evanston. My mom and I had two salesmen "helping" us—a young foreign guy (YFG) and his middle-aged sidekick, Kevin. First of all, YFG would not give us a price on anything. He only said things like, "The cars I'm showing you are in your price range." He was very slippery. Then all of us—together, like a circus family—drove in a Golf to their warehouse a couple miles away to drive another Golf. Then the second Golf wouldn't start, so they had to jump-start it with the first Golf. I was like, "Uhh, have you two actually sold a car before?" When I finally got to drive the revived Golf, they made me stop for gas. By that point I was expecting them to make me pump it, too. So despite the shenanigans, I liked the car, and then we got back to the dealership and YFG was like, "Oopsies, that car is six thousand dollars more than you can afford." My mom and I left wanting to burn the place down. Instead, we drove to Dealership Row in Schaumburg, tested another used, much less expensive Golf, a Hyundai Accent, and finally the Yaris. The Toyota salesman was a young Polish guy and he said funny things like, "We'll give you a full gas of tank" and, "Would you like a Polish snack?" which of course I did.
I will miss the Capri. I have a lot of great memories of that car—like the time I was rear-ended and the time I was side-rammed and the time Robert backed into it in the driveway. But better, as a kid driving with the top down through the mountains with Miss Bobbie and Michael. I have a picture of me leaning against the Capri up north in 1993, right after my mom bought it. I framed it and hung it on my wall, and today my mom took a similar after picture. So long, Capri, you old girl—you've been good to me.
In other news, the house in Royal Oak sold in less than a week. I sort of can't believe it. It's hard to see them leave and to lose my home in Michigan. Especially that house. I'll probably drive home in two weeks, then fly home again for Memorial weekend for the last time. It's very sad. My mom says, "You have to make your own home now." I don't know how! It's just me. BUT, it will be exciting to have a second home in Black Mountain, on a mountain, and to go hiking and climb waterfalls and mingle with the hillbillies.
And now for some car pictures.

