I called my neighbor Beth tonight to ask her which dumpster is ours because I'm sure I've been using the wrong one, and then so I'd have an excuse to say, "Oh hey, by the way, would you like to, I don't know, be my friend some time?" I just think it would be nice to have someone to go out to dinner with once in a while, rather than just eating here alone every night. Anyway, she wasn't home, so I got her answering machine that says, "Hi, you've reached Beth and Tristan..." Tristan's the cat. So even though I think she's way too smart for me, because she's a scientist and I think science is magic, we'll always have cats. In our non-existent friendship in my mind. (This is how our conversations will go: Her: "I had a real break-through in my lab today." Me: "What's the deal with that Sanjaya girl?" Her: "...Let's talk about cats now.") Also, her apartment is right across the courtyard from mine, so I think it would be funny to hang signs in our windows for each other, like, "I'm watching you," or, "Bring me some chips."
I got a call tonight from another guy I met at the Redhead the same night I met Allen. Dan and I swing danced to, I don't know, Billy Joel, probably. He's married, but his wife wasn't with him. That night he gave me his phone number and told me to call him when I moved here, but the next day I thought, "Well I'll never talk to him again," and deleted his number from my phone. Tonight he said, "You were supposed to call me!" Then: "I have a buddy I want to set you up with," to which I said no thanks, but he told me to call him next week and we'll go out. Maybe his wife will come, otherwise I'll start to think she exists only in his mind. (In that case, I'll bring Beth.) Oh, and apparently he lives downtown near the Redhead and graciously offered to let me sleep at his place if I'm ever out "partying." Who does he think I am? Lohan?