Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekend

It's street festival season now in Chicago, so Friday night Russ and I went to Mayfest in Lakeview. It was in a really small space and crowded, so we just bought million-dollar hot dogs, did a walk through the sweaty band tent, and left. Then we went to the wine bar for a bit. The DJ wasn't playing good dancing music, so we walked a few blocks to another place. It was salsa night and we were the only two white people. Well, Russ was the only white person. I'm obviously very Mexican looking, so I fit in right away and picked up the salsa moves like a quarter off the floor. We went BACK to the wine bar, then, and danced some more. The wine bar is more my pace than most bars—the pace of a much older woman.

Yesterday I went with Russ to Humboldt Park, a mostly Puerto Rican neigborhood on the northwest side. She had to do an anthropological observation of the people in the park for her class. I don't know what she observed, besides my Olympic soccer skills. We kicked a soccer ball around for a while until my tricks started to embarrass her. And by tricks, I mean kicking myself in the foot.







I wanted to get a picture of the suit in the background taking a camera-phone picture of the geese.




I don't know if you know this, but I was a high school soccer star. Hollywood even made a straight-to-video movie about me called Kick It! which then inspired them to make that gymnastics movie, Stick It!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh Erin. You're so athletic now.