Saturday, December 22, 2007

A Christmas Miracle

Well, I didn't think I'd make it to Asheville last night. My fear almost came true! I almost got stuck in Detroit and had to live in the terminal. My flight to Detroit was delayed an hour because of the fog, and the gate agent said I wouldn't make my connecting flight. So I called Aunt Lou and Uncle John in Livonia and begged them to take me for the night. Then I got on the flight and the flight to Asheville ended up being delayed about an hour. It was a Christmas miracle. We landed in Detroit and I ran from Terminal A to Terminal C, through the rave tunnel. Remember the scene in Home Alone where they're running through the airport to "Run, Run Rudolph"? One of the stores was playing that song as I ran by. So I got to the gate and NO ONE was there. The monitor said, "Asheville, departs 10:17." This was about 9:30. I thought, Oh, everyone must be wandering around since we have so much time left. Then the gate agent showed up and was like, "You have to get on the plane NOW." Apparently no one was at the gate because everyone was ON THE PLANE. Meanwhile my stepbrother Nick shows up, casually sipping a Starbucks, and says, "But it says 10:17?" And the woman is like, "Do you want to stand here and argue, or do you want to get on the plane?" So Nick and I were the last two on the plane, and HE was the one who almost missed the flight and had to stay with John and Lou. I thought for sure my luggage wouldn't make it and I'd have to wear my sweaty-running-through-the-airport clothes two days in a row, but it was another Christmas miracle. Until they get a direct flight from Chicago to Asheville, I'm flying direct to Greenville and making Miss Bobbie pick me up (she doesn't know this yet). No more of this connecting business.

Today we went to a potluck lunch at the Creston community center in Black Mountain. They served Sloppy Joes. It was just us and one other full-time Creston resident and the Creston sales people. Apparently they've spotted a bob cat at Creston. I really want to see some exciting wildlife. After lunch we drove down to see the waterfall and the moonshine shack.



Me and Nick arriving in Asheville.

The home site in Black Mountain. They've done a lot more since I saw it at Thanksgiving.








I LOVE the moonshine shack.


Nick sneaking some moonshine.


Allison Falls at Creston.


I said I wanted a picture of me and Nick so I could tell everyone he's my boyfriend.


One of the foot bridges to the falls.




Farnsworth holding the umbrella over Robert while he cooks the ribs with a flashlight on his forehead.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHA! That last picture of Robert is hilarious.

Jessica said...

You two look like celebrities getting off that plane. Almost like Bradgelina... Except, you know, he's your step brother and all of that...