Friday, December 19, 2008

Homemade Christmas

I've been spending most of my time crafting lately. Yeah, I'm crafty now. My family decided to do a homemade Christmas this year, except for two of my uncles who opted out of it because they wanted "real presents." So they'll probably exchange Cabela's gift cards or something else hunty. I thought it could be really funny, because no one in my family really MAKES anything normally, except for my grandma, who makes quilts, and my mom who sometimes takes pottery classes and makes things that eventually become cat dishes. So it'll be interesting to see what people come up with.

My aunt Bobbie drew my name and I can't WAIT to see what she has crafted for me. Will it be a TiVo, as I requested? Or adult Heelys, as I secretly requested? Or will it be a little doodad for my window sill?

I had to make something for my uncle Dan, and at first I drew a blank. I thought to myself, "What does my uncle Dan like? Computers and beer?" I instantly had a grand idea to make him his own beer—Danny Beer. I would order a brewing kit from the internet and, even if Danny Beer tasted like urine, it would Donald Trump all of the other homemade gifts. So I looked up brewing kits online, saw that they were $300, and immediately dropped that idea. Since my uncle is or should be a daily reader of my blog, I can't say what I ended up making, but I can say that it is a 24x36" self-portrait.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hilarious! A thing I've done w/my kids and younger nieces/nephews is have them do "portraits" of relatives for their gifts. You supply the paints, brushes, canvases(cheap at Hobby Lobby). Lay out some good closeups of Grandma, Uncle Joe, etc. and let the art begin. The finished works are beautiful, personal and often hilarious. :D

Erin said...

Usually I say I can't wait to not have kids, but this makes them sound pretty fun.

ashevillecats said...

OMG did Erin *really* say that?

Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy your home-made gift from AB. Those pretzel balls are pretty good.... at first. I know we'll love whatever it is that you made. Did you keep it on the clean side?