Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change has come to America

I was lucky to get a ticket to last night's rally in Grant Park. I'm still processing it, I think. The whole night was unreal. Russ and I were so far away from the stage that we couldn't even see it. But just being there, with 65,000 other people all hoping and cheering for the same thing—it was incredible. And I cried. I cried like a little girl. I didn't at all expect to, but it was just so moving and exciting. I saw the guy next to us wipe tears away, too, and I was touched.

I'm so proud of the country. I'm proud of us for making this finally happen—finally! For saying, "White dudes, give someone else a chance." I'm proud of the people who stood in line for hours to vote for change. I've never been so inspired and filled with hope for the future. I truly feel like Barack Obama cares—not just about the country, but about people. It feels like a brand new day.
















Cheering—soon after CNN's projection.

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were a part of history. What an amazing night.

Jessica said...

I cried when they made the announcement, too. I loved hearing everyone around South Complex cheering after that, too. What a night and how lucky you were to experience it!

Anonymous said...

Our friend and his girlfriend got tickets at the last minute. He's a writer and is still finding it difficult to put into words what he felt that night.

It's weird -- I cried two days before the election but not when or since Obama was declared the winner.