Sunday, November 8, 2009

New Job

I survived my first week at New Job. I think it's going pretty well, and it's super fun to be one of the only northerners there. It's also really fun to pee in Africa every day (or more realistically, every thirty minutes), since I've never been there before. Hope I don't get malaria from the toilet seat. Jay kay, you know I'm a squatter. TMI?

New Job is also sending me to New Orleans next week for the ASHA convention (American Speech-Language Hearing Association). I KNOW, I can't believe it. I've never been there. And I've never been on a business trip. Wait, how do I act on a business trip? Do I drink more than normal? Do I drink more than normal, then hit on all of my coworkers? At the same time? I just don't know! Oh well, I'm a professional lady, I'll figure it out. I also have no idea what I'll be doing there.

My new roommate and I are getting along famously. We have a lot in common, like having a glass of wine after work and all our TV shows I make her watch. I even cooked us dinner the other night by adding mushrooms and wine to a jar of pasta sauce, which is TOTALLY COOKING! It's so fun to be lady bachelors together. We laugh and laugh and braid each other's hair and then cry.

This weekend I went back to Black Mountain to get more stuff and to finish cleaning someone's house I'd been cleaning before I got a real job. Girl, I was getting very close to scary-poor. I've been paying for COBRA every month, which is expensive, especially if, oh, I don't know, you don't have a job. I'd been working very part-time this summer at Creston with Gary the groundskeeper, doing things like weed wacking and hedge trimming. It wasn't so bad—I got a farmer's tan, got a good workout, and Gary taught me how to speak country. But that ended with the summer and I was left to sell shit on eBay just to get enough money for COBRA. So New Job couldn't have come at a more pressing time.

This weekend I also went to a seance. Because I'm 12. Apparently there's a ghost at the humane society, and Eric's coworker's mom is apparently a medium. So Eric asked me if I wanted to go to a ghost hunt last night and I was all, "Yeah, that sounds weird enough, I'm in." The medium had cameras set up and some sort of ghost reader and night-vision goggles. And we had a seance where we had to sit around a table in candle light and hold hands. It. was. awesome/weird. I felt like I was in Now & Then. We didn't end up seeing or hearing any ghost activity, but APPARENTLY they can review the video tapes and see things that we didn't notice at the time. Allegedly.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is so awesome!

You must go to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. Beignets. That is all.

Erin said...

My friend told me the same thing!

jim said...

You Ghost Hunt sounds GRREAT !!
GL with your New job. BTW yes hit on all the coworkers!!HEHE.